- Site Homepage
NM History Home
- NM History Homework 2017-2018
- The State of New Mexico >
- Manifest Destiny
- The Long and Bumpy Road to Statehood
- The Carlisle School >
- Taos Blue Lake, Taos Pueblo & the Role of Activism
- Depression, The New Deal & Hope in New Mexico
- WWII And New Mexico
- Get Your Kicks...On Route 66
- Current Issues Facing New Mexico
- New Mexico and the Politics of Water
- New Mexico, Civil Rights & The Minority Experience
- Tourism and New Mexico
- New Mexico and the World...of Art
- Mysteries of New Mexico
US History Home
- The Supreme Court
- American Beginnings >
- REVOLUTION...and the Birth of a Nation >
- ....War is in the Air >
- The Western Frontier: Changes, Clashes, and Conflict
- Industry, Big Business and Labor
- The Turn of the Century, Roosevelt & Progressivism
- World War I >
- The Roaring Twenties & The Thirties, Depression & A New Deal
- Cold War, the Fifties, and the New American Dream >
- The Sixties, A Counterculture & Vietnam >
- The Century Comes to an End >
- Contact Me
- A Campaign Against Bullies
Lesson Plan located at bottom of this page Sources for information as well as targeted NM standards and performance benchmarks can be found there. Thanks.
The Rise of a New Industry in the West
In the second half of the 19th century,
index of civilization
The enormous jump in demand for things like meat, accelerated by refrigerated storage and transport, would spur ranchers and the federal government to
take over millions of acres in
the American West
for the use in the raising of CATTLE.
'THIS ACTION BROUGHT ON THE LAST PHASE OF THE CENTURIES-LONG PUSH BY EUROPEAN COLONIZERS TO RID AMERICA
OF ITS NATIVE TRIBES,
BY FORCING TO NEAR EXTINCTION THE
BUFFALO & THE NATIVE AMERICANS TRIBES WHOSE LIVES CENTERED ON THE BUFFALO"
Distributing Buffalo Hides, ca. 1936
Compare the above photograph with this:
Distributing buffalo hides:
Study Tip: This photo was taken somewhere around 1936. That is what "ca." means.
The creator of this picture is listed in the bibliographic record as Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Rosebud Agency. The Rosebud Reservation, part of the Sioux Nation, is in South Dakota.
Hides with and without fur on were used for clothing, moccasins, bedding, and tipi covers. Other parts and their uses included:
Check out the graphic below.
What do you think of the painting below?
Do you like it? Why? Why not?
MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE IN YOUR PROJECTS. THANKS.
The Birth of the Cattle Industry
Part I. Discuss the rise of the
cattle industry in New Mexico.
Discuss the following in particular:
1. The Big Ranches of the Lea Llano Estacado
2. The San Simon Ranch
3. The Hat Ranch and
4. The Four Lakes Ranch
Make sure to discuss them each fully!!
Part II. DISCUSS RANCHING IN THE STATE TODAY!!!
That is, what are the statistics behind this
New Mexico industry?
FOR A GREAT RESEARCH SITE
(This isn't a choice, guys!!! Use this site--among others-- for your research!)
The image below is part of our Museum Moment. The second image can be found further down the page. Thanks.
Working with the Wagon
by American painter, Theodore Van Soelen.
Theodore Van Soelen was highly skilled in depicting ranch life.
FRESHMAN AND SENIOR NEW MEXICO HISTORY STUDENTS:
This year, La Cueva is requiring that ALL students WHO ARE NOT PARTICIPATING IN THE SBA TESTING
complete a project during their time off.
Here are PROJECT REQUIREMENTS:
Use the information BELOW as a
sort of checklist to make sure that you have
included everything required.
IN THE END, I AM LOOKING FOR A BLEND OF RESEARCH, CREATIVITY, ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND...WELL, I WANT TO KNOW THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THE INFORMATION ABOVE AND THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY TEACH IT TO YOUR AUDIENCE.
projects will receive three grades: 1. a test grade 2. a project grade and 3. a "write-up" grade.
CHECK OUT ALL OF THE HELPFUL LINKS BELOW: